So Nimm Denn Meine Hande...

Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Foundation of the Answer to the Question of Cessationism: Part 1

Well, this is the beginning of a new, huge study that will consume this blog for a while. For those who love controversy, tune in. For those who have questions about some of the hot topics that the pastor won't give you a straight answer on, this is for you. Why do I say that? Well, I'm going to be attempting to lay down the case for cessationism and attempting to tear down the case for non-cessationism. I'm not going to touch the untouchable; I'm going to lay both hands on it. So, in order to take on such a momentous task, we're going to need some patience and focus...so here's what's going to happen.

I'm going to first tell a little about myself, in order to give a personal context for my position. Next, I'll lay down my philisophical and theological foundations, as well as my understanding of hermeneutics. Third, I'm going to clearly define the terms. Fourth, I'm going to present the positive scriptural and theological evidence for the cessationist position and fifth, I'm going to rebut some common arguments used for noncessationism. This is going to take some time though...most likely 20+ posts...so sit back and come on a walk with me for a month or more. This is the stuff that I'm not allowed to teach at my church, and I do comply with that imposed restriction, for respect to the authority placed above me. Besides, I'm currently preaching through Colossians 1:9-14 and there's a whole lot of stuff in there that my C&C crowd needs to hear as well. (Cessationism, like Calvinism, is not the gospel. It is part of the whole counsel of God though...) I'm not saying that I'm using the internet to get around the restrictions placed upon me by my church leadership; I'm not breakin' the law here. I'm simply presenting the truth of scripture in a public forum other than my church. Standin' in the marketplace, so to speak.

Also, this will not be an online debate. Whoever reads this stuff will be welcome to comment, but DO NOT think that you will sucker me into a mudslinging contest. If you want to 'spread the word' on why I'm all wet, start your own blog and I'll be glad to read what you have to say. Smart alecs are also welcome, but they will be treated with like candor with which they treat me. I will address serious questions, though that will also be done at my discretion. I don't spend my life on the internet and I don't have time for everything and everyone. There's enough resources out there though; if you can't find the truth out there, you most likely won't find it here either. I've gotta run off to work though. Have a good day people and God bless! Until Next Time,

The Armchair Theologian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home