So Nimm Denn Meine Hande...

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Hmmm!

"David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the LORD with all his might, while he and the entire house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouts and the sound of trumpets." - 2 Samuel 6:14-15

I don't know where the idea got into my head, but it's been a little heresy that was rambling around there for a long time. David never danced naked before the Lord. He was dressed in the priestly robes, and he was offering sacrifices! For some reason I've heard many of my charismatic friends comment on dancing in church, defending it by saying "David danced naked before the Lord". Now I'm going to respond "well, if you want to dance you've gotta offer sacrifices too!" HA! It's so funny to be sitting in class, read a verse you've read like 40 times before and all of a sudden realize what it says..."not naked". Hmmm. How many little heresies are rattling around in my empty head that I've never gone to the word to straighten out?

Until Next Time,

The Armchair Theologian

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen2 said...

OKAY - that is one of my FAVORITE VERSES to picture!!!!

Though I've never thought that he was naked, I do believe that he must have showed his ankles, as they were not allowed to do or some other faux pas.....your thoughts?

But DUDE !!!
"David danced with ALL his might"

What joy he must have had in communing with our Great God !

4:41 PM

 
Blogger michael lewis said...

I don't recall ever hearing naked as a modifier.

But what if the nakedness was meant as a metaphor? In that David was not all hung up by what was socially and culturally acceptable? He was naked because he didn't care what other people thought of his dancing.

??

9:39 PM

 
Blogger The Armchair Theologian said...

?!?

Don't know Michael. One could say that I guess...

I was just saying that I had heard "naked" somewhere and hadn't ever checked it out. Just kinda a funny stupid post! HA!

10:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home