So Nimm Denn Meine Hande...

Sunday, October 01, 2006

My What Now?

Okay. I kinda get that the world is growing more fickle and silly by leaps and bounds. For some reason, many people think that the internet is a credible source of information and don't seem to use books much anymore (and don't seem to think too much). It's pretty much hard to escape entertainment, what with tv on cell phones now, mp3 players everywhere and high speed wireless on just about everything from refrigerators to raincoats.

But there's something I cannot figure out. What's the deal with MySpace? I mean, I don't get it. I don't have a MySpace account (nor plan to get one), but I don't understand the purpose. I mean, the banner at MySpace says "A place for friends" and whatnot, and I assume it's some form of "online community", but I don't get how it works. I mean, consider the following page of some friends of mine (no offense Colin...you're just a random example...search for "Saskatoon" on MySpace and you're like 5th down the page)

Now these are some good dudes that I know from home; friends.

Looking at their page, they have 4,311 other friends. Oh really? Do you have 4,311 friends that you hang with regularly?

Of course not.

But everyone wants to be on StereoTrap's friends list so they're cool.

And then, looking at the comments, it seems everyone says something along the lines of:

"Hey. You are cool. Thanks for the add."

What the heck? That's SOME form of deep communication. That's the foundation of a meaningful friendship.

So what is MySpace?

Is it a community? Well, in the most basic sense of "a mass of people", yeah...except without geographical proximity or physical presense. It's like the digital equivalent of smoke signals. What a gong.

And I admit that there's a whole lot of irony in the fact that I'm blogging about how stupid MySpace is. BUT, I hung out with one of my seminary friends for most of the day. THAT was good times and actual fellowship, so my hypocrisy isn't complete.

No wonder so many kids are so suffering. If you are caught in sinful patterns of behaviour and struggling with depression/acceptance/etc, you no longer have to hammer through your problems at school, or with your parents, or at church (AS IF!)...oh no. You can get online with 5,000 other equally disfunctional kids and bask in your problems on some crazy vampire/death metal/psycho goth webring on MySpace.

'The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.' - Genesis 2:18.

And yet, with the benefits of technology, we are enabled to go to extreme efforts to isolate ourselves and seek out lonliness.

Isn't it ironic that sin seeks to reverse every good thing God has every done, and then whine about the results? So, I'm gonna make an effort to get to know 2 new people this week and do something social with them where I steer the conversation to weighty matters on purpose. Sounds good. Until Next Time,

The Armchair Theologian

5 Comments:

Blogger Kirk said...

i have been harping on about how lame myspace is for a while. good to read an article like this one.i wonder if there is a creflo myspace, well, i'm not going to take the time to figure it out.

4:40 PM

 
Blogger The Armchair Geek said...

Word Kirk. Word.

4:57 PM

 
Blogger michael lewis said...

Finally! Something we can agree upon!


Was I one of those two people? Ha ha ha!

Taylor thinks we would kill each other if she ever introduced us. But that's what she said about me and her brother, and we got along just fine.

10:02 PM

 
Blogger The Armchair Geek said...

If I were in Lethbridge, yes! But instead, I'm going out for lunch tomorrow with a guy from the seminary and I'm going to try to do something this weekend with someone else.

Thanks for volunteering though.

And just for the record, Taylor usually kills me when we're around each other too.

7:13 PM

 
Blogger the-everything-club said...

I don't agree with everything you said. But I appreciate that you said it. MySpace is stupid if you're not in a band, but it's not totally pointless. It's no more pointless than blogging, although it might seem so on the surface, both if we're honest are just a cry for attention. Why is "thanks for the add" worth less than "great blog post". More-over I'm not so sure that people were discussing their problems before, if typing it out is the only time they get it out, it could be better than nothing (*could be). And I'm not sure making friends with people for the purpose of proving a point is a good thing (not to mention "steering" conversations in a certain direction). I hope this doesn't come off offensive, like I said you raise some good points, and it made me think. And even though we've possibly never met, I suppose I have a right to disagree. At least I hope I do. It's officially a dialogue. Viva STEREOTRAP!

2:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home