So Nimm Denn Meine Hande...

Monday, October 09, 2006

Reflections upon the homes of the saints...

I've had two fellas from Canada at my place this weekend. Jesse is from my the College and Career at my church in Saskatoon and Steve is his traveling partner. They're on like a 2 month road trip and they contacted me a few days ago, asking if they could crash at my place. Anywho, we explored Burbank a bit and I took them to Grace Community Church on Sunday. We also explored Beverly Hills and Bel Air and tried to get to Rodeo drive but couldn't because it was shut down due to the filming of some show. Dang it!

But, tonight I dragged them along to a birthday party in Valencia of a friend I met from The Masters College (like 3 weeks ago) and they were kinda hesitant to crash a Canadian Thanksgiving/birthday party with a bunch of people they didn't know. I actually was also hesitant, as I'm not one for having to 'perform' in large crowds (i.e turn my 'goofiness' up to 11) and end up breaking the ice for everyone...though I kinda did. You're all welcome. I'm not actually that stupid in real life, but laughter definitely lightens up a room a lot.

As we finished eating, one of the girls suggested that we all go around the table and say what we're thankful for. We ended up all saying our things and then Steve commented that "it's so amazing to be 2,500 miles from home, in the house of people I've known for all of two hours, eating their food and talking with relative strangers, but for some reason, have it be all cool. We stayed with some non-Christian friends in San Fransisco and they were hospitable and all, but since we have a bond in the Lord it's like being with family. I didn't think I'd be able to celebrate Thanksgiving with family while I was traveling, but God had other ideas!"

I nodded in agreement, for I was secretly thinking the same thing but didn’t want to say it for fear of sounding cheesy. But that’s so fantastically true. Being around Christians, eating and sharing and laughing together is fantastic. It’s really weird how Christ in my heart gravitates toward Christ in the hearts of others, and I got thinking:

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." – John 13:34-35

It is one thing to let a total stranger crash on your couch, but it’s another to love them, share your home with them, share yourself with them and show genuine affection to weary brothers. I would guess that if we did that a lot more, we wouldn’t need to spend so much time arguing with cynics and skeptics about the faith. Until Next Time,

The Armchair Theologian

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

First of all, Happy Thanksgiving! I was totally intending, all weekend, to come in this morning and throw up a big, nice Happy Canadian Thanksgiving post (look at me; I so want to be Canadian)...until I started typing and realized what a boring post it would end up being. Bummer.

Ok, next. Steller post. Here, here. Funny you should just write about that very thing... Pastor John (mine, not yours) preached a rock-awesome sermon this weekend right along these lines. Romans 16:5-16. The affection we feel towards others in Christ should be paramount -- we should feel the weight of the Gospel in that all believers have been snatched back from the precipice of God's wrath and rescued from plummeting downward into the bottemless pit, and thus we should only have the utmost embracing love for those saved and secured in Christ.

Looks like that exact thing was displayed with you and your friends this past weekend. And that is fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

12:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home